Quality Care for Pet Birds
Annual wellness exams for your bird will help ensure continued health and early identification of developing problems. At Conejo Valley Veterinary Hospital, your feathered companion receives care from highly trained veterinarians experienced in the intricacies of avian care.
Call us to schedule your bird’s first wellness visit.
Early Signs of Illness in Birds
Birds are masters at hiding the signs of illness. They work hard to keep up a normal appearance as long as possible so, by the time major symptoms are showing, they have usually been sick for quite some time. It is essential to know the very early signs of illness.
Early signs of illness include:
- Slight change in vocalization or eating habits
- Dull feathers and color changes in feathers
- Extended molt
- Chewed, picked, or broken feathers
- Stained feathers around nares, vent, or eyes
- Swelling, redness, or feather loss around eyes
- Crusty material in the nostrils
- Excessive flakiness of the beak or skin
- Excessive overgrowth of beak or nails
- Sores or loss of scale pattern on the bottom of the feet
- Favoring or lameness in limb
These early symptoms may not require emergency medical treatment, but they are signs that warrant an examination by us to make sure there is not a major problem developing.
Signs of Serious Illness
A bird’s health is often reflected in its droppings. Learn what normal droppings look like and observe your bird on a daily basis for changes or abnormalities.
Signs of serious illness in birds include the following:
- Fluffed and huddled posture
- Decreased or increased appetite or thirst
- Major change in personality or behavior
- Diminished vocalization
- Abnormal, labored, or noisy respiration
- Weight loss
- Discharge from eyes, nostrils, or mouth
- Vomiting or regurgitation
- Injury or swelling on body
These symptoms can be the result of a serious health problem and should be considered an emergency. If this occurs, please review and follow our emergency procedures.