We’re Proud to Be a Cat Friendly Practice
Conejo Valley Veterinary Hospital is proud to be a Cat Friendly Practice! According to the American Association of Feline Practitioners our hospital meets the level of care and standards necessary to be considered a Cat Friendly Practice. We are the only veterinary office in the Conejo Valley to be awarded this title!
Domestic cats need regular veterinary visits to promote longer, happier, and healthier lives. Conejo Valley Vet can provide many important and beneﬁcial services beyond just treating your cat when they are sick or for emergency visits.
What is a Cat Friendly Practice?
The American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) developed the Cat Friendly Practice (CFP) program to help owners support their cat’s ongoing health care needs. This was achieved by helping practices to reduce the stress associated with the visit, increasing the quality of care provided, and supporting the veterinary team with information about cats’ distinct needs, behavior, and body language.
When designated as “cat friendly,” selected veterinary practices have proven they have taken speciﬁc extra steps to assure they understand a cat’s unique needs and have implemented feline friendly standards.
In order to be a Cat Friendly Practice, Conejo Valley Veterinary Hospital demonstrated that we:
- Understand the unique needs of cats and have made veterinary visits more cat-friendly.
- Understand how to approach and handle cats in a gentle, empathetic, and caring manner.
- Have an appropriate standard of equipment needed to investigate and treat feline diseases.
- Meets a standard for the facilities and care for hospitalized cats.
Owner Benefits of Visiting a Cat Friendly Facility
Taking a cat to the vet office can be extremely stressful for both the cat and the cat owner. Here are a few of the benefits of visiting a cat friendly practice and how Conejo Valley Veterinary Hospital has provided these benefits to cat owners:
- We create a calming and less stressful environment for our feline friends.
- Conejo Vet has a feline-only examination room that provides a safe, non-threatening area where cats can be examined calmly and effectively. (Dogs and other animals are not seen in these rooms to eliminate stressful and unfamiliar scents)
- We use synthetic feline facial pheromones for a calming effect.
- Our cat-only ward, hospitalization area and operating room have been assessed to include appropriate feline equipment, tools and procedures.
- The Conejo Vet staff is trained to handle felines and take a slow approach to handling cats in order to reduce stress and fear associated with the veterinary office.
- Our experienced staff can recognize subtle, early signs of fear or anxiety and adapt appropriately.
We look forward to seeing you and your feline friend.